37th International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science

The conference trip

The trip contains a guided tour through the medieval town of Levoča: Master Paul's Square, St. Jacob Church, and a concert of baroque music in the Town Hall.

Levoča

Levoča is the magic centre of one of the most ancient and unique regions of Slovakia, Spiš and a former Free Royal Town. The first preserved written records on Levoča date back to the 13th century. The extraordinary development of the town was influenced also by its location in view of the road net. There was a crossing of the main road east-west and a side road north – south. In 1317 the king Robert named Levoča as “his free royal town”. The following rights granted to the town enabled mainly the traders and craftsmen to prosper. From the point of vies of the structure of inhabitants the town benefited from the arrival of German settlers from Saxony. The cause of a small amount of written records was an enormous fire of 1550 that destroyed the whole town including the Town Hall Archives. The town historical centre was proclaimed a historical town reserve in 1950 and in 2009 the town was placed on the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage List.


Master Paul′s Square is one of the greatest medieval squares in Slovakia. It is surrounded by more than 60 town and patrician houses from the 14th – 15th centuries.


St. Jacob Church The most precious monument of Levoča is St. Jacob Church and its highest Gothic altar in the world – the work of Master Paul of Levoča. The interior counts 11 altars, wall frescos, two organs, carved wooden senatorial benches and benches remembering the visits of kings, a bronze baptistery, epitaphs, carved doors, hammered bars, ostensories and chalices.


The Town Hall It is the most photographed building in the town. The original town hall burned in 1550. The building was extended on it southern and western parts by an arcade archway and a balcony on the floor of the western façade after another fire in 1599.


Cage of Shame Dates approximately to the 16th century, originally with a wooden roof. It served for punishing of minor offences.


Lutheran Church It was built in 1825-1837 by the architect Anton Povoĺný in the shape of a Greek cross in the classicistic style. Three sides have galleries with organs, benches, archives and a valuable library containing documents from the Lutheran lyceum.


Thurso′s House It came into existence by merging of two Gothic houses. It has a preserved Renaissance Attica, typical for the region Spiš

Proceedings



Created using Fluid 960 Grid, and Sofsems' webs. © Faculty of Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Science, Comenius University, 2010